CARSON CITY FIRE DEPARTMENT
201 N. CARSON ST STE 4
CARSON CITY, NEVADA 89701
Apply Now >
Updated: October 06, 2021
Position Title: Firefighter and Firefighter/Paramedic – Open & Lateral
Carson City Fire Deparment is building an eligiblity list. All applicants must complete the FireTEAM exam through National Testing Network.
To be eligible, all applicants must also complete a department application located here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/carsoncity/jobs/3228957/firefighter-and-firefighter-paramedic-open-and-lateral-recruitment?page=1&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs
Candidate Contact Person:Megan McCarthyRecruitment Analyst775firstname.lastname@example.org
Department Overview: The Carson City Fire Department (CCFD) operates out of three permanent stations and one seasonal station. As an all-hazards and full-service Fire Department, the Department serves the community in many different ways, including all-hazard response and Advanced Life Support (ALS) services. In 2020, the Carson City Fire Department responded to over 11,300 fire and EMS calls. CCFD operates with an annual budget of $14 million and a full-time staff of 90.
City/ County/ Area Information: Ideally located in Northern Nevada, a region with four seasons and over 250 days of sunshine per year, abundant recreational opportunities, natural beauty, and a low tax burden, Carson City has much to offer!
For more information about the area, please visit: https://visitcarsoncity.com/
Valid NEVADA Driver's License: Valid driver's license from any state is acceptable.
Ability to Read/Speak English: Yes
Academy Certification: Employees are required to attend and successfully graduate from the Regional Fire Training Academy. Lateral hires must possess Firefighter 1 Certification and complete a 4-week Training Academy.
Additional Requirements: Lateral Hire Requirements:
Hiring Process: The testing process will consist of the following components:
1. Written Exam
2. Physical Ability Exam. A valid CPAT within the last 12 months will be accepted in lieu of the physical ability exam.
3. EMS Skills Assessment
4. Panel Interview
5. Chief’s Panel Interview
Conditions of Employment:
1. All new employees will serve a probationary period of twelve (12) months. Such employees are not subject to the administrative order and may be laid off or discharged during this period for any reason, or no reason.
2. Continued employment is contingent upon all required licenses and certificates being maintained in active status without suspension or revocation.
3. Employees are required to attend and successfully graduate from the Fire Training Academy. Failure to graduate from the Fire Training Academy will result in termination of employment.
4. Employees may be required to complete Incident Command System training as a condition of continuing employment.
5. Any employee may be required to stay at or return to work during emergencies to perform duties specific to this classification or to perform other duties as requested in an assigned response position. This may require working a non-traditional work schedule or working outside normal assigned duties during the incident and/or emergency.
6. New employees are required to submit to a fingerprint-based background investigation which cost the new employee $56.25 and a drug screen which costs $36.50. Employment is contingent upon passing the background and the drug screen.
7. Carson City participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each applicant’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. All candidates who are offered employment with Carson City must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 along with the required proof of their right to work in the United States and proof of their identity prior to starting employment. Please be prepared to provide required documentation as soon as possible after the job offer is made. For additional information regarding acceptable documents for this purpose, please contact Human Resources at 775.887.2103 or go to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services web page at www.ucis.gov.
8. Carson City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
9. All employees covered by this job description are subject to drug and alcohol testing in accordance with the Carson City Fire Department’s Drug and Alcohol Policy which mandates drug and alcohol testing and includes pre-employment, random, post-accident and reasonable suspicion testing. Employees in violation of the policy are subject to discipline up to and including termination of employment.
10. This is a grant-funded position with an anticipated grant end date of October 15, 2023. Although the grant is expected to end on that date, sometimes additional funding can be obtained to extend a grant beyond the end date. If that occurs, your employment under the grant might also be extended. If the grant funding ends, the position will be eliminated and your employment with Carson City will end. You will not be entitled to receive the layoff benefits set forth in the Carson City Firefighters' Association, Local #2251 labor contract.